Maritime Transport

Header Image

Version en español

  • I am a British citizen currently residing in the Canary Islands/Balearic Islands. Will I continue to benefit from maritime transport discounts on my inter-island journeys and journeys to the mainland by sea?

    After the United Kingdom withdraws from the European Union and becomes a third country, you will only be able to continue enjoying these discounts if you have long-term resident status.

    More information: Immigration Portal (Mitramiss)

  • I have a British pleasure boat licence. Will British licences be recognised after Brexit?

    Recreational boating licences issued by the United Kingdom WILL NOT BE VALID to hire or skipper (for private use not hire) Spanish recreational vessels (under a Spanish flag). Spanish legislation only recognises recreational boating licences issued by states belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA), or states not belonging to the EEA but expressly recognised by Spanish law.

    However, any British national who is a skipper of a recreational craft under the UK flag and has a licence allowing such navigation under UK legislation may navigate in waters over which Spain exercises sovereignty, sovereign rights or jurisdiction.

    British nationals who have professional licences in force included in Chapter II of the STCW Convention (International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, adopted in London on 7 July 1978) and issued by a signatory to this Convention, MAY hire Spanish recreational craft without a crew or act as skipper for recreational purposes, but in no case may they exceed the authorisations granted by their professional licence.


  • Recreational Boating Licences are not for professional purposes and only authorise holders to skipper such craft for non-commercial use, i.e. they may not engage in any paid freight or passenger transport, fishing or sports activities. The licence is obtained by passing certain tests.
  • Professional Licences authorise the holders to engage in a profession on merchant vessels. Holders of a certain professional licences are deemed to be capacitated to skipper recreational craft, so they do not need to obtain a recreational boating licence. Holders of professional licences may therefore engage in activities authorised by their professional licence on their recreational craft. However, the only professional licences that entitle their holders to engage in such activities are those included in Chapter II of the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers and its annex, adopted in London on 7 July 1978, known in the sector as the STCW Convention.